AIX V3.1 (RS/6000) linker problems

John Brinegar john at baldur.uucp
Thu Oct 25 12:44:21 AEST 1990

I have been having problems with the linker under AIX V3.1 (RS/6000).  It
seems that when linking a large executable (many libraries), the linker
eats up all paging space and the bind is killed by signal 9.   This
occurs when the paging space size is 64 Mb (I have 32Mb of RAM).
By expanding the paging space to 144 Mb, the problem is resolved, but the
linker is still using between 80 and 90 percent of the paging space.
Needless to say, this brings the entire machine to a near standstill due to all
the swapping going on, and links of this executable take much, much longer
than they should (~40 minutes).

IBM has supposedly fixed some problems with the linker in the 3001 update
(July update), but I installed this update and ran into the exact same problem.
Has anyone experienced any similar problems with the linker (bind) on this
system?  Is the linker really that much of a memory hog, or do I have something
configured wrong? Any help with this problem is appreciated.

John Brinegar        {att!uswat, uunet!dunike} !onecom!john
TelWatch, Inc.          (303) 440-4756
--
John D. Brinegar	{att!uswat, uunet!dunike} !onecom!john
TelWatch Inc.  		(303) 440-4756