AIX V3.1 (RS/6000) linker problems

Peter Blemel peter at msinc.msi.com
Fri Oct 26 16:11:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct25.024421.7418 at onecom> john at baldur.uucp (John Brinegar) writes:

>I have been having problems with the linker under AIX V3.1 (RS/6000).  It
>seems that when linking a large executable (many libraries), the linker
>eats up all paging space and the bind is killed by signal 9.

While never having encountered this manifestation, I am plagued by another
mean nasty bug. When linking large executables, the linker starts to claim
that symbols are undefined when in fact they were defined the last time I
linked the code! If I swap the order of the objects different objects become
undefined while previously undefined objects are now okay.

This happens in my fortran code as well as C code, but mostly occurres when
linking code that uses a lot of symbols (like X11 stuff). I can make it go
away (sometimes) by just #including all of the code in one file. Yick.

Machine :
520, 48mb ram, 128mb paging space, 3001 update applied.

Peter