Installing 1.2 on a PS/2

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Tue Oct 9 02:13:20 AEST 1990

In article <14658 at hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:

>>What do you mean "not let you connect outside your domain"?  I have no
>
>If my ethernet address is: name at haas.gatech.edu, then I can connect to
>any machine (or mail to any user) under gatech, like bob at hydra.gatech.edu,
>but NOT to, say, bob at mentor.purdue.edu. IBM told our Georgia Tech coordinator
>that this was an OS bug.

You still don't quite answer the question, what do you mean by "connect"? Are
you using telnet, rlogin, ftp?? Also when you do attempt this, what is the
error message, network unreachable or what ?? There was a problem with
gethostbyname() but I don't believe the broken version was in any outside
service update and I have since fixed it. There was also a sendmail problem
in the last update which I have fixed and an "emergency fix" is available
from IBM support, I don't know the problem number but I'm sure someone else
reading this group would.

>Interesting. My default gateway is set, as well as my nameserver.
>The nameserver works fine for local connects. I cannot connect outside
>my domain even if I use the absolute address, bypassing the nameserver.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can't believe this is true, can't even connect using the IP address?? Were
things that broken we would certainly be inundated with Sev 1 reports :-}!
I also have an account at UCLA which is running the current level of service
and I have been able to telnet by hostname to umich.edu, vt.edu, cornell.edu
and berkeley.edu among others!

>It sounds like you have your machine working, so I wonder if IBM has given us
>bogus info. What updates have you applied?

I think what we have here is some confusion in the transmission of problem
reports between different levels of support. As I said, there is a problem
with sendmail in the latest update, if anyone out there is experiencing
mail problems contact your IBM representative about getting the fix, perhaps
this was translated somehow into a generic network problem.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM