rlogin - problem solved!

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Jan 28 03:00:32 AEST 1991

In article <1504 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>My thanks to someone from <<IBM>> who called and left a message
>to this effect.  Imagine, someone from IBM, reading news, and calling
>to help, without a problem number, etc, etc! Amazing...
>This makes twice I have received useful help from IBM on the net.
>(Funny thing though, I get better support from IBM on the net than I
>do via telephone from "Defective Support.")

There are a lot of people in Austin that do read the net, but please
don't rely on the net for your answers.  Frequently your problem has
been experienced before and a workaround is known about and can be
given to you immediately.  Call Defect Support, get the PMR number,
and then post to the net.  This provides the formal tracking mechanism
needed to get the trouble reports to the developers (no PMR, no APAR,
no bug fix ...), and by posting to the net helps keep all the AIX users
informed about problems and their solutions.  If noone else posts an
answer, go ahead and followup to your posting with whatever IBM tells
you about the solution to your PMR.

Even within IBM there is a temptation to use the internal newsgroups.
This often results in problems which are well-known by users, but
not by the person responsible for maintaining the code.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"13 of 17 valedictorians in Boston High Schools last spring were immigrants
 or children of immigrants"   -- US News and World Report, May 15, 1990