Kernel nlist entries

Daniel Baldoni flint at cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au
Mon May 13 12:07:30 AEST 1991

I'm trying to develop a process killer that works similar to /etc/killall
on the SGI machines.  But, I'm having trouble trying to access some of the
kernel symbols on our RS/6000.

Basically, I'd like to know the name of the entity which specifies the
number of processes which are currently running.  Under BSD machines, it's
typically called nproc.  The closest I could find (just using an 'nm /unix')
was max_proc but the value of this beast (after reading /dev/kmem) didn't
seem quite right (about -4,500,000).

If anybody out there has played on an RS/6000 at this level, please let me
know.

Oh, by the way, we're running AIX 3.1.

--
	Daniel Baldoni

Phone:    +61-9-351-7667                    | School of Computing Science,
InterNet: flint at cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au   | Curtin University of Technology,
UUCP:     I have absolutely NO idea!        | GPO Box U1987,
ARPA:     flint%cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au   | Perth,
           ... @uunet.UU.NET                | Western Australia, 6001