Booting diskless suns

Werner Guenther x41 at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon May 13 21:25:24 AEST 1991

Hi,
I am trying to set up a 320 as a bootserver for diskless suns. I got to the
point where the sun starts booting, displays the message "using ip address
129.206.100.127" but then dies with a "bootparamd not responding, still
trying" message.
 The strange thing is that inetd on our 320 is starting a bootparamd process
at this point, so I suppose I'm missing some undocumented magic.

What I did so far:
 I ported GNU-Tar to read the sun tapes (AIX tar didn't manage to read them).
I set up a directory "/sunboot" and ran the /usr/etc/install/INSTALL script,
and, following the instructions in /usr/etc/install/README, I added the
following line to /etc/inetd.conf:

bootparamd  sunrpc_udp  udp	wait	root	/usr/etc/rpc.bootparamd	bootparamd	100026	1

The entry in /etc/bootparams is the following:
sun1	root=aix0:/sunboot/sun1/sun1 \
	swap=aix0:/sunboot/sun1/swap/sun1

As we are running yellow pages, I updated the yp databases. The yp entry
looks like this (listed using 'ypcat bootparams'):
 root=aix0:/sunboot/sun1/sun1 swap=aix0:/sunboot/sun1/swap/sun1
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the name of the client machine is
missing.

 Any help will be apreciated,
thanks for listening,
Werner.
Werner Guenther                   |  Computing Center, University of Heidelberg
x41 at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de    |  x41 at aix0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
x41 at DHDURZ1.BITNET                |