Network Time Protocol

Carl Lewis carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au
Fri May 10 13:19:37 AEST 1991

In <1991May8.231256.14782 at uai.com> mrl at uai.com (Mark R. Ludwig) writes:

>Has anyone successfully implemented the Network Time Protocol on an
>RS/6000?  I have managed to get version 3.4 (patch 13) built, but it
>seems to be silently not working.  The code is heavily-dependent on
>BSD semantics and include structure, but using -lbsd and -D_BSD seems
>to have enabled the appropriate compatibility modes.  (Can someone
>tell me what -D_BSD *does* anyway?)  Are there any other incantations
>which might help?  I am allowing the Makefile to default to ``cc''
>instead of ``xlc'' and I'm not sure that's correct, either.$$
>--
>INET: mrl at uai.com       UUCP: uunet!uaisun4!mrl       PSTN: +1 213 822 4422
>USPS: 7740 West Manchester Boulevard, Suite 208, Playa del Rey, CA  90293
>WANT: Succinct, insightful statement to occupy this space.  Inquire within.

Yes I have it ported . Unfortunetly there was a bug in gettimeofday and
settimeofday (can crash the system if called (im)properly :-). And even
if called according to IBM's nice manual page ( which doesn't describe
the bits that crashed the system even though they're standard on
every other system with BSD enhancements I can lay my hands on)
it does nothing.
These bugs were fixed in a partial update (2003 ?).

So if if you'd like the patched code drop me a line and I'll send it to
the AIX archive.

Carl

--
    Carl : Programmer (etc) with University of Tasmania
Internet : carl at cs.utas.edu.au || C.S.Lewis at cs.utas.edu.au
Address          || carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au