The Amiga UX, a unix workstation?

J|rgen Holmberg dvljhg at cs.umu.se
Thu Jan 10 09:48:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan9.154128.17433 at msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> punch at pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Bill Punch) writes:

>So I susbscribed to these groups to get a handle on this new machine
>I've saw discussed in the most recent BYTE. I've been looking for a
>"combination" machine for sometime now and been dissatisfied. By
>combination I mean a nice Mac-type GUI but also a full unix
>implementation, and the ability to use both or switch back and forth.
>The Mac AUX isn't worth mentioning and I'm not sold on the NeXT yet. So
>what can anybody say about the UX? How does it do regular Amiga stuff.
>How about unix, say compared to a Sun (slower sure, but complete, reasonable)?
>
>					>>>bill<<<
>					punch at pleiades.cps.msu.edu

The trouble I see is the "switch back and forth" bit. Reboot!
On the other hand I don't see why the amy should be slower than a SUN 3/60.
The X environment at least should be as fast ( or faster ). The machine I
tried had only 5 meg but with a 9 meg machine memory is no problem.
The only way to find out for sure would be to borrow one for a couple of
days to feel it out.

/Jorgen