Secure floppy filesyetms (was Re: interesting feature on AMIX..)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Jun 26 03:35:17 AEST 1991

In article <dillon.8977 at overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon at overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>     There is no way to secure a floppy.  The user could easily put a setuid
>     root executable on it and then it would not really matter *where* it
>     is mounted.

There should be a file system type that doesn't allow special files.

If this was AmigaDOS, Matt Dillon would have written a handler for it
in the time it takes me to type this message, but UNIX is a mite more
complex.

How about it, Commodore? You could sell it twice... once on AMIX, and
once to SCO for their next secure product.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"