Amiga 3000 UX & 2410 Graphics Adapter

Matthew Dillon dillon at overload.Berkeley.CA.US
Sun Jun 30 06:16:49 AEST 1991

In article <2621 at urbana.mcd.mot.com> dfields at radium.urbana.mcd.mot.com (David Fields) writes:
>>The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
>
>The idea of having a unix system with out a reasonable method to do
>backups is crazy.  Or you plan to by a read/write optical drive?
>
>In case it's not obvious, I don't consider backing up a >=100Meg
>drive to floppies reasonable.	I also consider not backing up the
>system as stupid.
>
>Dave Fields // Motorola Computer Group // dfields at urbana.mcd.mot.com

    What I think Dave means is that unlike AmigaDOS, it's a major mess to
    re-install UNIX completely from scratch if something dies.... a REAL
    mess, lost data aside.  There are so many programs interacting and so
    much work required to install various things (example:  you port a new
    version of GCC and have to modify a lot of files all over the place),
    that it would take days to get it all back on line.

    So I would also strongly suggest getting a tape drive.  Backing up to
    floppies is not reasonable.

					    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon at Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon