VisionA-Card (was: X-Pert: "50 MHz 68040 card available")

private giger at ganesha.uucp
Sun Jun 16 05:18:52 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun14.114706.2005 at unibi.uni-bielefeld.de> markus at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
>In article <VINSCI.91Jun11130347 at nic.nic.funet.fi>, vinsci at nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>|> Their Visiona 24bit graphics card isn't available yet (though they
>|> showed it at Amiga '91 in Berlin about a month ago), but scheduled for
>|> the end of the year. The version shown at the show didn't have a [...]
>
>I was just wondering about. CBM showed the Vision Card running in the A3000UX
>on the Ami-Expo in Berlin. There was a screen device and a seperate Monitor.
>But, recently, i am not very sure. Could someone else proove it ?
>
>If it was not the card from X-Pert, then it was another card. But it was nice to
>see the Amiga running X11R4 on a high-resolution card/monitor !

Commodore showed the A2410 card under UNIX which is supported by the
X server shipping in version 1.1. The Visiona guys, at CeBIT '91,
inititially didn't have plans for an X server, but I hope I was
succesful convincing them. Note though, that the Visiona card is a
true 24bit-plane design while Commodore's A2410 is 256 colors out
16 million. Unlike the A2410, the Visiona doesn't have its own
on-board processor which could turn out to be less optimal for
what you want under X, although it may be excellent for other
purposes.

Best regards, Thomas.
--
Thomas Giger, Technical Support Manager, Commodore ESCO.