Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Daryl Biberdorf dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu
Tue Mar 26 03:16:36 AEST 1991

In article <jac.669575661 at sundance> jac at gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:
>  I guess I'm missing something. Sun's IPC *lists* for $10K (our
>price, $6K) and is every bit as complete as the A3000UX, coming with
>16" color monitor, ethernet, 200 Meg hard drive, 8 Meg ram, SunOS 4.1
>and OpenWindows (which includes a lot of stuff that CBM's OPEN LOOK
>software doesn't have). What additional software do you have to buy
>for this that you wouldn't have to buy for the Amiga? (And is the
>software you want even available on the Amiga).

Assuming the 3000UX ships with an ANSI C compiler, that's one thing
you wouldn't have to buy!

I find it totally ludicrous that an established, respected workstation
vendor like Sun still doesn't give me a full ANSI compiler.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I still can't find a way
to get a statement like "char filename[]="data.dat"" to compile
without an illegal aggregate initialization error on the new
Sun 4/4xx we have here.  It works fine under the xlc compiler under
IBM's AIX, however.

Kinda odd that you have to use gcc if you want an ANSI compiler on
the Sun....

--Daryl Biberdorf,  dlb5404@{tamuts,rigel}.tamu.edu
  Texas A&M University