atstatus:No printer selected by Macintosh chooser

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Wed Jul 18 10:51:45 AEST 1990

In article <7617 at gollum.twg.com> sdh at vax2.twg.com ("Sari Harrison") writes:

>Help!  I keep getting this message over and over and over again.  It's
>driving me crazy!
>
>I have a IIfx with an Apple ethernet card and have configured
>/etc/appletalk to be ethertalk0.  TCP/IP works just fine, but I can't see
>any zones.  When the Mac is running MacOS all the zones are there.

Perhaps this is a silly question, but are you connected to an
Ethertalk network? If not, use localtalk0 as your appletalk interface.

>  I was
>previously unconcerned about this lack of zones, but then I tried using
>lpr and suddenly I was getting this constant flow of messages.  They
>change to "LaserWriter:LaserWriter@* not found" when I go into the chooser
>and select Laserwriter.  I pretty much understand what this means, but how
>to stop it?  And what started it?  I did manage to shut it up by running
>newconfig with noappletalk, but that's not really a solution.

If you don't select a laserwriter (i.e. you didn't say "I selected
laserwriter 'bozowriter' and can print fine from TextEdit") then
appletalk printing will try to find some random laserwriter named
"LaserWriter" as a default.

>Incidentally, how does one make changes to the System Folder?
>Specifically, add or remove cdevs?

You add or remove cdevs by dragging them to or from the system folder.
The global system folder is /mac/sys/System Folder.  You can also have
a personal system folder in your home directory.

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team