Resizing AUX Mac OS partition? (novice question)

Kent Sandvik ksand at apple.com
Sat Jun 8 09:24:09 AEST 1991

In article <3127 at redstar.dcs.qmw.ac.uk>, liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:
> One of the main difficulties is that A/UX and MacOS have different views about
> which fields in an official partition map entry are actually significant. Back
> during the A/UX 2.0 beta period, I formatted & partitioned a drive using the
> supplied non-Apple software, and it worked fine under MacOS. Looked at from
> A/UX, the partition map entry magic numbers were all zero (not the correct
> value!).

> I asked Apple DTS to issue a technote on this area, and was told "this isn't
> an appropriate subject for a technote - people developing partitioning
> software who claim to support A/UX should read the A/UX documentation".

> I hope attitudes to A/UX have changed since, but the problem that all these
> people keep bumping into is that software with no claims to support A/UX won't
> even work as "standard MacOS" when vuewed from A/UX.

> Perhaps Kent or someone with A/UX responsibilities in DTS would care to
> reconsider producing a technote in this area?

Hi, busy, busy... Anyway, yes I'm pushing for a TN that talks about all those
narly issues that IM and other documentation do not cover concerning
hard disks, SCSI and partitioning in general (MacOS, A/UX). We did some
groundwork earlier with a couple of DTS questions (which should be sooner
or later in the DTA library and the Q&A stack. So let's see what will happen.
We have a couple of new DTS engineers that are working with SCSI and similar
issues. Yes, this is an important issue, third party vendors should get whatever
information in order to get their hard disks working with our platforms.

Kent