A/UX concerns

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Wed Mar 6 11:23:15 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <49501 at apple.Apple.COM>,
  lantz at Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
< Matthias, You wrote:
<
Umm, yes I did...:

< >Actually, what I'd like to do is take the Mach 3.0 kernel that's freely
< >available, combine it with the Mach 2.5 Unix server and the [object or,
< >preferably, source] code to make it run on the Mac, and hack away.
<
< Hmm, well you probably know that MachTen is (I believe) available from
< Tenon Intersystems in Santa Barbara.  It is interesting in that it apparently
< runs on Macs without MMU's, e.g. the SE.

Yes I know, but that doesn't help.
I want MacOS running on top of Mach, not Mach running on top of MacOS, for
the very simple reason that when MacOS on the former crashes, the whole
machine has to be rebooted. On the latter, you kill the MacOS process(es) and
start over.
When you're trying to use the machine with multiple tasks (say, program
development, major UUCP node, and reading NetNews while the compiler is
busy -- incidentally that's exactly what my fx is doing right now), you start
to realize the difference pretty fast.

< I might also point out that Apple is a member of OSF, as well as
< Unix International.
<
Fine, but that doesn't answer my question either.

To repeat: What happened to the CMU Mach port and why can't people like me
get it? It is available for machines with 80386 CPUs...
--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/