C++ on cray UNICOS??

Bill Rosenkranz rosenkra at hall.cray.com
Tue Aug 1 11:45:58 AEST 1989

In article <241 at uw-apl.UUCP> keith at uw-apl.UUCP (Keith Kerr) writes:
=Is there an implementation of C++ running on cray./UNICOS
=systems??  If not, could anyone venture a guess as to
=how tough a port would be.  I've heard that UNICOS was
=derived from some unix version, but I don't know anything
=more about it.

UNICOS is based on UNIX System V.3 so in theory, cfront should be possible.

i am not an expert on c++, but as i understand it, the research version
(1.2.1?) is a preprocessor which generates c code. cray has an ANSI-
compliant C as well as a vectorizing C which so far i have been able
to port numerous codes with (i have just started a port of GNU emacs
18.54 for a cray-2 under UNICOS 5.0, for example). so c++ is text in,
text out and it should not be a problem. the question is whether the
c code generated can readily be compiled. i suspect it can.

i have no knowledge of cray's plans for c++ but i suspect somebody
is playing around with it :^).

-bill
rosenkra at boston.cray.com
[i speak for me, not cray, so don't quote me...]