asynchronous I/O in SVR4?

A. Lester Buck buck at siswat.UUCP
Mon Dec 10 10:37:06 AEST 1990

In article <2541 at sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
< In article <4719 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
< | >How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
< | >to SVR4)
< |
< | Yes, that's one thing that it is.  It's also Sun's release that adds an
< | asynchronous I/O mechanism, but the mechanism doesn't come from S5R4, as
< | far as I know....
<
<   The header files are in Dell V.4, but I don't see aiowait or asiowait
< in the masterliblist file, which shows all the routines in every
< library. Don't know if they only got half, or if they took some out, or
< if the async stuff has those names redefined in the header files. I will
< look, but not this morning.
< --
< bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)

And to answer my own original question... :-)

Someone from UNIX System Laboratories returned my call and explained
the situation with SVR4.  No, SVR4 does not have any form of
asynchronous I/O.  A pre-release version did exist, but it was
removed from the distributed code.  Some of the STREAMS functionality
depends on definitions in the asynch header files, so they had to stay.

--
A. Lester Buck    buck at siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck