Shared libraries are not necessary

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Mon Jun 10 14:15:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun9.104502.2167 at research.canon.oz.au>
	andy at research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) writes:

>>When you are writing a program, or drawing a picture, you often concentrate
>>on a single application. Then, unless you are running something like xeyes,
>>there is only one "actively running" process.

>...and a clock, and a mail minder, and a manual browser, a couple of
>performance monitors, a calendar manager, etc, etc... Soon adds up.

Though I can't stop you from bloating your environment, not everybody
believes in bloatation. Along this discussion, I remember two people said
they use window system only because they need multiple terminals (their
articles have expired on my site).

If one is running only one active process because he has limited
amount of real memory, memory consumption increase and performance
decrease by shared libraries is a curse.

						Masataka Ohta