Question about Make

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Thu Nov 3 15:28:50 AEST 1988

> > Whenever I try to run 'make' on a makefile that contains nested
> > 'make' commands, I get a core dump.  Has anyone else observed this
> > behavior?
>
> I also have this problem.  Another problem I have with make which causes
> a core dump is running make as root.  If I am root, attempting to run
> make always coredumps.  This is V/AT Version 1.3 of the Software Developement.

Hi Folks,

     We had the second problem too, and tracked down to a bug in
make that was triggered by Aspen ksh.  ksh exports the _
environment variable, and when make is looking at the env for
variables, it croaks on the non-alphanum character.

     A short-term fix should be to make a wrapper program that
scans the environment, drops the _ variable, and then calls
the real make.

     This bug, along with the source-code fix, was sent to uport
in early May.

     Steve

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl