VP/ix and Windows 3.0. It works but ....

stb stb at isbank.is
Wed Dec 12 02:02:14 AEST 1990

OS:       Interactive Unix v2.2
Computer: Tandon 386/33 with 8MB memory

I just got my VP/ix upgrade (v1.2.01) which is supposed to allow me to
run Windows 3.0.  I installed Windows 3.0 and .... It worked.

I then tried to run Excel but got "Not enough memory to run Microsoft Excel".
I checked how much memory was free and it said 133k free.  (I am
attached to a Netware/386 server).  "Ok" I thought "I will just start the
expaned memory manager (pemm.sys) and restart VP/ix.".  I put a
device=pemm.sys s60 in my config.sys and restarted VP/ix and Windows 3.0.
Now Windows said it had 248k free memory and 368 free expanded memory
(using Large Frame buffer).  Excel started ok but when I tried to access
the menus it crashed with a "SYSTEM ERROR.  TERMINATING CURRENT APPLICATION".
II tried running Word for Windows and it crashed with the same message.

I the tried to use ems.sys and put a "device=ems.sys s60" in my config.sys
and started Windows 3.0.
Now windows said it had only 193k free and it didn't report any expanded
memory.
(I also had the same problems with Windows 2)

The question is :

  Is it possible to use expanded memory with Windows 3.0 in VP/ix ?

  If so, how do you do it ?

If anyone has an answer then please help me out.  I am tired of having to
reboot my computer and run MS-DOS to use Windows.

Steintor
Steinthor Bjarnason       Internet: stb at isbank.is
Islandsbanki h.f.         UUCP:     {mcsun,sunic,uunet}!isgate!isbank.is!stb
Kringlan 7                Phone:    354-1-608000
155 Reykjavik, Iceland    Fax:      354-1-679037