X and VP/ix

Timothy L. Kay tim at ggumby.cs.caltech.edu
Sun Oct 21 08:24:19 AEST 1990

smb at datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

>Just spent some time on the horn with ESIX.  Next rev is sys V 4.0 and
>X11R4 due in February.  This version will support VP/ix.  Current version
>does not support VP/ix and the problem is in the kernal.  X11R3 from
>ESIX will most likely not be fixed to support VP/ix.  Its wait or nothing.
>Also sys V 3.2 rev D will not support X11R4.  You will have to migrate
>to sys V 4.0 to get X11R4.

This sounds good.  Suppose I own Interactive Unix 2.2, and I want to
upgrade to Esix.  Can I use the VP/ix that I currently own with Esix,
or do I have to get an upgrade.  There are two issues here.  First,
will my VP/ix 2.2 run under Esix, and second will it run under Sys V.4?

>Also, I have been told that interactive unix runs X and VP/ix with no
>conflict.

Yes it does, but it only works in text mode.  Some systems like a
Sun 386i can actually show CGA and HGC graphics under their window
system.  Also, you can only get 24 lines and have to use the line
toggle to see the 25th (eventhough it is simple to create a 25-line
xterm).

Tim