incremental backups using cpio...HOW???

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
Wed Feb 10 03:05:26 AEST 1988

In article <10048 at ncc.UUCP> lyndon at ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:

| This is a Q&D hack I've used for quite some time...
|
| #!/bin/sh
| cd /usr/src
| find . -type f -a -newer /etc/local/lastinc -print | cpio -oacvQ /dev/rmt0
| touch /etc/local/lastinc
| exit 0

The problem with this is that there is a window in which a file may
change after being backed up and before the bulkhead file is touched. I
was bitten by this (just) once and use:
	touch marker.new
	find /u -newer marker -print | cpio -oBc > /dev/whatever
	mv marker marker.old && mv marker.new marker

Obviously I had to create the original marker file with touch, then do a
backup of some kind.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)