Anybody ever heard of DUAL

Anthony Stone stone at nbc1.UUCP
Fri Jun 9 04:09:51 AEST 1989

Yes, the station where I used to work, KVUE-TV in Austin, still uses their
Dual 83/80. It's a S100-based 68000 computer with a SMD controller,
floppy controller, 1 megabytes of memory, 16 serial ports and clock card.
(I think a tape controller and ethernet card were also available.)
It's running Unisoft's System V port called Uniplus+. Dual also made
larger systems, but our SMD drive was only 80MB. For its time, the Dual
was a great product for those who wanted "real" UNIX but couldn't spend much
more than for a PC.

I saved an article posted last year by Erik Fair (Hi Erik!), who performed
assorted wizardry for Dual Systems from March '83 to June '86. Here's further
information about Dual from his posting <18758 at apple.Apple.COM>.

    Ian Darwin of SoftQuad (Toronto, Canada) has a Dual, and has been
    running a mailing list of sorts for Dual owners for a few years.
    He can be reached at <ian at sq.com>. This should help in finding Dual
    owners who have reconfiguration rights.

    Well over half of the Dual computers ever sold went into the People's
    Republic of China (some apparently without proper export licenses, which
    led to the recent conviction of Dual's former president on charges of
    export regulation violations), so finding customers in the U.S. might not
    be easy.

    Sadly, Dual Systems finally closed its doors on September 1 of this
    year. [1988]
--
Anthony Stone			NBC Computer Imaging, New York, NY
stone at nbc1.ge.com		212-664-2206