Rich $alz is still alive ??!!!??!!

matt robinson yakker at ucrmath.ucr.edu
Mon Nov 26 11:14:43 AEST 1990

I posted a program about three weeks ago, which hasn't been posted to
comp.sources.unix as of yet, and I wanted to know if anyone wanted a
copy of this program.  It's called MLPD, for Multiple Line Printer
Daemon.  What it does is act as a daemon on your local system, and
monitors the queueing of printer jobs to a virtual printer, and
distributes these jobs to any number of real printers.  If anyone out
there in net land is interested in this code, please let me know,
as I have it available, and I haven't heard anything from Rich Salz
in quite some time.  Hopefully it will be posted to C.S.U, with some
luck, in the future.  Take care!

--
Example of Program:

                       --------
                       |  LP  | -----------\
                       --------             \
                       /      \              \
                      /        \              \
                  -------   -------       ---------
                  | LP1 |   | LP2 | . . . | LP(N) |

So all you have to do is type in lpr <file>, and it's off to the fastest
printer!  It works now for 4.3 BSD type systems, and SunOS 4.0.  I haven't
tried it with any of the other systems yet, but it should be somewhat
portable.  If you want a copy, mail me a request, and I will send you out
what I have.  Then send me any problems, requests, items that you would
like, as I'll support it to your heart's content, with a bit of time. :)

UCR Rules!  (Well, sort of.)

--Matt