screen program information

Henk Langeveld - Sun Nederland henkl at glorantha
Mon Sep 24 04:04:08 AEST 1990

gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU (BURNS,JIM) writes:

>in article <13842 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, I write:
>
>> in article <13840 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, I write:

>>> Well, of course I could always just ^a-k (kill) that screen window w/o
>>> affecting any of my other windows, then ^a-c ((re-) create) that window if
>>> I need it.

>> Then again, I suppose this wouldn't be appropriate if the program needs to

>And then again, since this *is* a windowing package, I can just switch to
>another window and do something else while I'm waiting.

Well, that's one problem I have with 'screen',  when logged in from home
over a 1200 bps line and I type 'cat HUGEFILE' in stead of 'less HUGEFILE'
I have to bash ^C real fast, or spend the next ten minutes waiting for
the file to flow by.  Apparently, interrupts aren't handled
asynchronously by 'screen'.   No matter what I do, the only way to
get out of it is to switch the modem off and on, and build a new
connection.

Fortunately, by the time I 'screen -r',  all output from the offending
window has been flushed to never-never-land, and I can continue where I
took^H^H^H^H left off. :-)

I must say that 'screen' is the one free program I use most.  I wonder
though,  the program has been very stable since its first release in
1988.  I have only seen one patch, and nothing else.  Aren't there people
out there who've added features to it ?

--
Henk Langeveld,  (henkl at holland.sun.com // henkl at sun.nl)
Confiction, 48th world SF Con: Aug 23-27th, The Hague.