ksh 11/16/88e now available in AT&T Toolchest

Chris Gonnerman at tree.uucp
Sat Oct 6 11:35:40 AEST 1990

In a very well stated article <2020 at sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
(Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   Don't use bison or the (still in beta) FSF library if you want to keep
> your code to yourself.
> --
> bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)

Exactly.  This is pure foolishness on the part of FSF... I might use their
stuff if it didn't bind quite so tight.  IMHO, a compiler-designer cuts his or
her own throat when the compiled code is considered covered by copyright.  What
does that buy you?  I won't use a compiler that requires me to insert an extra
copyright statement next to mine, or restricts how I use, sell, or give away
the resulting program.

Of course, I don't use GNU stuff if I don't have to anyway... it fails to
compile on my plain-vanilla Motorola Unix SysV too often.  The porting effort
to get the "standard" GNU sources to compile on my system is usually much
harder than porting MS-DOS programs!