ksh 11/16/88e now available in AT&T Toolchest

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Thu Oct 4 12:14:54 AEST 1990

In article <TOWFIQ.90Oct2112740 at lcxserver.InterLan.COM> towfiq at interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfiq) writes:

| There are several things wrong with this blatant advertisement:
|
| 	1) It has always been frowned upon to post ads to regular
| 	groups, and some people are actively hostile to it.

  So then why post your FSF ad? You should post informational postings,
like the one about ksh88e.

| 	2) The ksh is a miserable piece of junk, when compared to the
| 	GNU superset shell, BASH (which supports ksh-like vi-type
| 	editing, and built-in help, among other things).  GNU is free,
| 	with modifiable source; ksh costs money.

  bash is nice if you want to modify the source. ksh comes with source
which works, and I've compiled 88d on about 15 machines and o/s
variations without having to port a special compiler or set of header
files to compile it. Not everyone run gcc.

| 	3) People don't want junk postings any more than they want
| 	junk mail.

  So don't post junk mail.

| 	            There is a newsgroup for this stuff, you know.
| 	I'll let you read news.announce.NEWUSERS to find out what it
| 	is.

  Hell, I'll tell you for free: alt.flame. Please take your posting and
philosophy with you.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX