ksh 11/16/88e now available in AT&T Toolchest

Jack Campin jack at cs.glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 22:47:56 AEST 1990

towfiq at interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfiq) wrote:
> lvc at cbnews.att.com (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>> ksh 11/16/88e is now available in the AT&T Toolchest; there
>> is a $150 upgrade for previous purchasers.
> There are several things wrong with this blatant advertisement:

> 1) It has always been frowned upon to post ads to regular groups [...]

Not unconditionally.  This ad didn't indulge in superfluous puffery.  It was
useful to me.

> 2) The ksh is a miserable piece of junk, when compared to the GNU superset
> shell, BASH (which supports ksh-like vi-type editing [...]

Last time I heard about it, bash didn't have "select", which makes it a
LONG way from being a superset.  (If the only edit mode it has is vi,
forget it).

I appreciate Larry telling us about the new version, and hope that new
versions of other shells are also announced here.

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home