SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Wed Dec 5 13:24:33 AEST 1990

jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
> Or how about instead of silently truncating a file name > 14
> characters, giving you a nice big fat error in the middle of a make or
> something until you clear a flag?  Example:  Try compiling cnews and
> create the subst file for spacefor.  Blows up everytime!

Well, this "feature", at least, is pretty easy to fix.  Go to
/etc/conf/cf.d and run configure.  Choose "Disk and Filesystem
Parameters" (option #3, I think), and change the "ETRUNCATE" (or
whatever it's called...The one about POSIX filename truncation) from
the default value of "0" to "1".  Relink, reboot, and viola, you have
regular UNIX behavior for long filenames.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"