SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Dec 14 14:59:40 AEST 1990

As quoted from <1990Dec08.140730.9747 at digibd.com> by rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey):
+---------------
| In article <1990Dec04.003651.13014 at jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
| >Or how about instead of silently truncating a file name > 14
| >characters, giving you a nice big fat error in the middle of a make or
| >something until you clear a flag?  Example:  Try compiling cnews and
| >create the subst file for spacefor.  Blows up everytime!
| >
| 	That's POSIX conformance fault not SCO specifically. cd to
+---------------

That isn't true, as far as I've been able to learn.  I don't know if it's a
lie or a misunderstanding on the part of someone at SCO, but it is incorrect.

The POSIX filename truncation vs. error business is *optional* behavior
intended to allow systems with hard filename length restrictions to still
support a POSIX source code environment.  It is *not* required, nor even
desirable (from a POSIX compliance standpoint, that is), as far as I have been
able to determine.

I suspect that line is just SCO trying to justify managing to break "UNIX" in
yet another way while managing to conform to all applicable standards.  They
excel at this, from my experience with SCO "UNIX".

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN