SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Dec 14 15:16:36 AEST 1990

As quoted from <1990Dec12.192318.19658 at digibd.com> by rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey):
+---------------
| In article <1990Dec9.143700.9682 at pegasus.com> richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
| >>	You're waiting for SVR4, it'll be a MAJOR change from what you're
| >>	used to and there is ALOT of new things to learn for system admin's
| >>	and advanced users. If you think sysadmsh was "fun", wait till you
| >>	see R4's equiv! Filesystem reorganization will be another fun change!
| >
| >Symlinks make the reorganization a non-issue.
|
| 	I still have some nightmares of SunOS systems with the symlinks
| 	from hell... The file reorganization will break many a code
| 	that assumes the classic /,/bin,/etc,/usr/bin,/usr/lib,/usr/spool
| 	configuration. Making 1,000 symlinks will make things worse
| 	not better...
+---------------

Files in strange places is a *minor* problem.  Not only have I used SunOS 4.1
(not to mention DG/UX, which also has SVR4/SunOS filesystem layout), but after
coping with another SCO "UNIX" difference from UNIX I'm used to files not
being where I expect.  You see, SCO hasn't figured out yet that /etc is for
system maintenance commands; somehow, they usually end up in /bin, while basic
system tools end up in /usr/bin.  This results in hackery in SCO "UNIX" to make
sure /usr is mounted in single-user mode (as we receive it, it's configured to
create a separate /usr filesystem), since SCO decided not to fix the real
problem but to hack around it instead....

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN