How much does source cost?

Tim W Smith ts at cup.portal.com
Wed Nov 7 05:41:53 AEST 1990

About how much does it cost to get source to, say, SCO or ISC Unix?

I've been doing drivers for both of these, and there are various
things that these companies have left out of their documentation
that access to the source would clear up quite well (not to single
out these two.  They are the ones I've used, but I have no doubt
that all the vendors documentation suffers the same type of
problem).

Sometimes, after spending all night in crash analyzing a kernel
dump to figure out which undocumented field in which undocumented
kernel data structure was not set up by my driver because the
need to do so is not mentioned in the documentation, thus leading
to a kernel crash, I really desire to be able to look at the source
code (which would clear this sort of problem up in a few minutes).

						Tim Smith