TCP/IP under ISC

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Tue Nov 20 20:15:05 AEST 1990

In <12431 at uudell.dell.com> mjhammel at Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) writes:

>The TCP/IP I have for 2.0.2 is TCP/IP 1.1.2.  The latest version is
>TCP/IP 1.2 (I think).  1.2 works fairly well, but its not completely
>compatible with other TCP/IP implementations.  Specifically, it doesn't
>seem too happy with System V.4 TCP/IP or SunOS 4.0.  Telnet's from the
>V.4 to a 1.2 system won't complete (they hang).  Rlogin's require the -8
>option in order to not get things confused when using vi.  There are
>some other things.  Basically, I've decided 1.1.2 is more compatible in
>a heterogenous network.

Subsequent investigation on this side of the pond shows that the telnetd
in 1.2.0 confuses many other telnets. The manual explains that ISC added
some extra negotiation parameters (e.g. WINSIZE). To disable them, edit
/etc/inetd.conf and add some parameters on the telnetd line (I don't have
them to hand, sorry. Maybe later ... :-)

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"