Warning to ESIX buyers.

Dave Goodman daveg at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US
Sun Nov 18 03:00:46 AEST 1990

In article <473 at datran2.uunet> smb at datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

> I have found a real gotcha in purchasing ESIX.
>
>	[tale of woe re: lack of development system in ESIX]
>
> An ESIX 2 user base system can be purchased either with or without
> the four diskettes that comprise the CSDS.  THERE IS NO OPTION THAT
> CAN BE PURCHASED.  Thats right folks. If you buy an ESIX 2 user base
> system and don't ask for the CSDS, you will have to throw it away
> if you ever want those 4 diskettes.
>
> The deal is that I am being requested to buy a second ESIX base
> system in order to get the libraries.
>
> This is really deceptive practices.  I encourage everyone who cares
> about these sorts of things to tell Ali at 415-683-2067.  I have
> not been so mistreated by a software company in a long time.  ...

When I called ESIX for product information two or three months ago,
they sent me an information package which included a price sheet
showing four system options, plus GUI toolkit, NFS, etc.

The plainly listed options were 1) Esix/386 2-User, 2) Esix/386 Unlimited,
3) Esix/386 2-User w/CSDS, and 4) Esix/386 Unlimited w/CSDS.  The info
sheet plainly stated:

"There is no upgrade from a 2-User license to an Unlimited User license.
 And there is no upgrade from the Complete ESIX/386 package to the
 Complete ESIX/386 with Software Extensions package."

I don't argue that ESIX and it's customers are well served by this
policy, but since it is stated up front in their sales literature
I hardly think it is a deceptive practice.
--

Dave Goodman
daveg at usource.sarasota.fl.us
...uflorida!usource!daveg