SCO's ODT does not work on any 80486?

Rob Peglar rpeglar at csinc.UUCP
Fri Sep 21 03:44:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep18.070431.3008 at pegasus.com>, richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> >"Sold" sounds about right.  In my book, the rest of this posting is a
> >lesson to all sellers who move boxes and don't bother to check out what
> >their customers want to do/intend to do with their equipment.
> >
> >Note, I'm not trying to absolve SCO - they do indeed advertise that
> >ODT "works on" i486 boxes.  To SCO's credit, however, they do indeed
> >check out and publish a list of "supported" systems.  Your company having
>
> Chill out.

"Quiz?" No.  IMHO, a seller should, however, be aware of what usage the
product will undergo.  It's not a "quiz", nobody is keeping score.  The
information is helpful to both sides - it helps the seller and customer
due to the (hopefully) seller's knowledge of potential pitfalls with
the customer's choice of usage.

> I'm sure it's not uncommon for a buyer to approach the vendor with a
> list of features.  It doesn't seem unreasonable for the vendor to
> assume that the buyer knows what he wants if he's acting like it.

Agreed.  Of course the buyer knows what he wants.  It's up to the seller
to determine if the product meets the buyer's wants.  The case that
sparked all this off is one that did not adhere to the last sentence.

Any more discussion - please e-mail direct.  Take it off the newsgroup.

Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Comtrol Corp.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
		A Control Systems Company	(800) 926-6876

...uunet!csinc!rpeglar