Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Tony Burzio burzio at mmlai.UUCP
Mon Apr 3 02:19:18 AEST 1989

In article <4744 at charon.unm.edu>, sdowdy at charon.unm.edu (Stephen Dowdy) writes:
> In fact, VMS believed that most terminals were ANSI standard.
> The VT series terminals adhere to a non-DEC standard! (at least pretty
> closely)  Your statement is fallacious.  Just because no one else
> seems to adhere to the ANSI standard is not reason to blast DEC.  Anyone
> could make their terminals ANSI standard, and a lot of manufacturers
> do go by ANSI standards.  (maybe not for terminals)

There should be a way to add new terminal support to VMS.

> >environment a whole lot better, and the CMU flavor is also cheap and does BSD
> >lpr/lpd for remote printing.  Other vendors also supply TCP/IP for VMS.

The CMU package does not work well to my Hewlett Packard.  For some reason it
hangs up remote logins if they become inactive for a time.  The Wolongong
and Excellan products work better, but will not pass the ^C through to stop
output from tying up the screen (use lots of | less :-)

> >Granted, the DECnet/Internet gateway stuff for DECnet/Ultrix helps, but it's
> >still a royal pain.

If you add NFS support to VMS along with RMS, do you need to have one of
your symetrical procesors just running the I/O subsection?

> DEC has finally pulled their heads out.  With the advent of the
> DECStation 3100, the added un*x interest, DECWindows, etc. (the
> vms/ultrix connection, though it is not terribly useful at the moment)
> there is an indication of the new-found support at Digital regarding
> integration.  We finally see a DEC that is no longer ignoring the
> outside world's desires.  This is going to be a big pain, partially due
> to the fact that rigorous standards are not in existence or not adhered
> to in a lot of the unix world.

The interconnect standards seem to be very strict; it is the program and
library functions of the various UNIX flavors that are different.  DEC is
talking UNIX because the government has stopped blindly buying any old
computer and specifying UNIX.  To get DEC's attention, pull the purse
string :-)

By the by, it's X Windows, not DECwindows...

> I think the next 5 years will show a marked change in how things come from
> DEC.

DEC is much like GM:  great sales of widgets they do not themselves produce...