Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Anthony A. Datri aad at stpstn.UUCP
Mon Apr 3 07:10:25 AEST 1989

In article <4744 at charon.unm.edu> sdowdy at charon.unm.edu (Stephen Dowdy) writes:
>In article <3096 at stpstn.UUCP> aad at stepstone.com writes:
>>VMS also continues to believe that all terminal are made by DEC.

>In fact, VMS believed that most terminals were ANSI standard.
>The VT series terminals adhere to a non-DEC standard! (at least pretty
>closely)  Your statement is fallacious.  Just because no one else
>seems to adhere to the ANSI standard is not reason to blast DEC.

I wasn't talking about ANSI-conformance, I was talking about terminal
independence.  As far as I know, there is no simple way to make VMS deal
properly with "non-DECish" terminals, ie., a Sun.  Sure, the Sun's sort-of
ANSI, but with different dimensions, etc.  A previous employer had a user who
insisted on using a Concept terminal on a VMS machine, and she had all sorts
of strange behavior.  I'm also told that many of the "standard" VMS programs
(like the variety of editors) have ANSI codes >imbedded< in them, so they
won't even work on a vt52.  My DEC GIGI (stop laughing!), for example, doesn't
support things like "delete-line", but then, that's a VK, not a VT.

>DECStation 3100, the added un*x interest, DECWindows, etc. (the
>vms/ultrix connection, though it is not terribly useful at the moment)

But the VMS/Ultrix connection still costs extra, and as you say, isn't
terribly useful.  As I understand it, VMS DECwindows only works with
DECnet connections.

I'm quite suprised at DEC's move in using the MIPS processor, not in that I
disapprove of the MIPS chips (I certainly don't), but in that one of DEC's
selling points has been binary compatibility up and down their primary line.
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)