Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Rob Robertson rob at violet.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 4 03:20:15 AEST 1989

In article <521 at mmlai.UUCP> burzio at mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>There should be a way to add new terminal support to VMS.

there is.  you have to specify your terminals though in assembler,
don't expect to have something as 'easy' as termcap, you still have to
watch out for applications that have imbeded control sequences...

how to specify different terminals this is most probably in the vast
VMS documentation set.

>> >environment a whole lot better, and the CMU flavor is also cheap and does BSD
>> >lpr/lpd for remote printing.  Other vendors also supply TCP/IP for VMS.
>
>The CMU package does not work well to my Hewlett Packard.  For some reason it
>hangs up remote logins if they become inactive for a time.  The Wolongong
>and Excellan products work better, but will not pass the ^C through to stop
>output from tying up the screen (use lots of | less :-)

The CMU/TEK package is at best lukewarm.  From what I've seen it's
pretty slow on a 750.  With the Excelan product, they have alot of the
upper level protocols on the board so it tends to go somewhat faster....

rob