ULTRIX 3.1

Bob Kinne bobk at fred.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 15 01:12:38 AEST 1989

We are now running ultrix 3.0 on both VAX and RISC machines.  We
have obtained WS 2.1 (ultrix 3.1) upgrade tapes through the local
CNS, which has an arrangement with our DEC salesperson that makes
them the sole source for DEC SW (we can't get it through DEC without
paying full list price).  Unfortunately there is no documentation
of any kind available.  What I need to know is:
1. Is the 3.1 a replacement or an upgrade?  In other words, when I
put it on a network server, should I delete the 3.0 subsets in the
client listing and replace them with 3.1, or should both be included?
2. What about the U01 'new processor upgrade' for 3.0 on the VS3100?
Is it still needed?
3. Assuming 3.1 is an upgrade, what is the correct ordering?
First 3.0, then 3.1, then U01, or 3.0, U01, then 3.1?
4. Can the microVAX 3500 server be upgraded using the WS 2.1 tapes,
or is another version needed?
Help with these questions and any other advice based on knowledge
or experience (good or bad) will be very welcome.

Thanks much.

Bob Kinne	 	Optoelectronics Computing Center
UCB, Campus Box 525	VOICE		(303) 492-3330
Boulder, CO 80309	INTERNET	bobk at boulder.Colorado.EDU