UWS 2.2 out yet ??????

Dan O'Neill dan at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM
Mon Feb 5 06:19:22 AEST 1990

In article <2912 at decuac.DEC.COM> avolio at decuac.dec.com writes:
>In article <15530003 at hpdml93.HP.COM> sritacco at hpdml93.HP.COM (Steve Ritacco) writes:
>Yes, UWS 2.2 started shipped yesterday.  CD kit available right now.
>ULTRIX V3.1 is the base system.  (ULTRIX V3.1c was -- mostly -- just
>the release of ULTRIX that supported the DECsystem 5400.)
>Fred

ASI received UWS 2.2 on Thursday, February 1.  UWS 2.2 contains Ultrix
3.1 and window system version 2.2.

Some notes:
	- Follow the upgrade instructions carefully. It is necessary
	  delete all of the UDW(RISC) or UWS (VAX) subsets prior to
	  installing UWS 2.2.

	- The X11 subset has become unsupported under 2.2 and is now
	  called UDWUNMIT022.  The binaries for this subset have been
	  moved from /usr/bin to /usr/bin/X11.

	- The /usr/lib/X11/system.uwmrc file seems to have some
	  problems which will keep /usr/bin/X11/uwm from starting
	  properly.

Question:
	Has anyone out there experienced problems with shared memory,
	specificially with virtual page corruption.  Under ultrix
	RISC, release 2.0, there were major problems.  Under 2.1, we
	experienced similar problems and they apparently exist under
	2.2 as well.  We have been unable to nail down the problem to
	a specific example, but the same programs execute flawlessly
	under all current VAX ultrix releases.
--
Dan O'Neill	dan at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM    {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan
Automated Systems, Inc.  San Diego R&D