How to use uucp on a VAXstation 3100 via Telebit modem?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Jul 12 14:56:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul12.004749.4579 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> Am I correct in my assesment that because the vs3100 has no modem control
> signals on its DECconnect plug, uucp can't be taught to "wait for carrier",
> and thus uucp will not work?  Running with debugging turned on in the
> telebit entry in /etc/acucap, I see that "carrier" is detected immediately
> after sending out the telephone number, and hence the following routine that
> is looking for the "CONNECT" string fails.  So is uucp useless on a vs3100?

Alledgedly, the VAXstation 3100 has no modem control, the DECstation has limited
modem control on one of the ports.   This means that you can't get shared lines
to work - modem has to be dedicated to either incoming or outgoing call and
you'll have to dick with the modemcap stuff to get a sequence that pretty much
ignores carrier and works by timouts/modem status strings.  This may be less
than reliable.

It should be possible to do this, though I've noticed that the :db: option in
the modemcap file seems to break something else - that is with debugging turned
on a modemcap entry fails everytime, but works ok with it turned off.  (this was
with the RISC version).

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com