moving root onto local disk of DS3100

John Chang changj at cs.rpi.edu
Mon Jul 23 08:57:30 AEST 1990

My previous post:

> We have several ds3100 running ultrix 3.1 begin served as diskless clients
> by a ds5400.  We are trying to move the root of ds3100 onto the local rz23
> disk to have them boot locally.  We have so far tarred all the files in the
> /dlclient0/client.root over onto the local disk, including all . files, made
> all the appropriate directories, edited the config file to indicate root on
> local disk and made a new kernel.  When we then try to boot it from the local
> disk, we get "?417 btblk fmt" message.  Does anyone know what this means or
> what we have to do to make it boot locally?  Thanks.

Thanks for all those who replied to my question.  The replies
suggested that I newfs the partition and this would install bootblk in
the appropriate location.  Someone also suggested using dd to install
bootblk.  I tried all these, along with making new kernel, tarring all
the files over to the local partition, etc., but I still get the same
error message -- "?417 btblk fmt".  Someone also said that he couldn't
get this to work and even suggested that this can't be done.  Does
anyone actually have this set-up running?  Thanks.