local man pages

John W. Eaton jwe at che.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 13 17:26:57 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.230038.2676 at eecs.wsu.edu>
gbell at genesiscsc.wsu.edu (Greg Bell - Systems) writes:

> Doing a `man man' seems to suggest that `man local ispell' should
> work, which it does if I use the System V man (/usr/bin/man), but I
> get a Segmentation fault with /usr/ucb/man.

I found the version of man that was distributed with Ultrix 3.x to be
somewhat less than wonderful and I couldn't find anything much better
so I wrote my own.  It understands MANPATH and PAGER environment
variables and knows a few tricks that the standard Ultrix man doesn't.
You can retrieve a copy via anonymous ftp from andy.che.utexas.edu
(128.83.162.5) in the directory pub.

There is also a very complete implementation of man in perl by Tom
Christiansen.  It is available from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
(128.146.8.60) in the directory pub/perl/scripts/tchrist.

--
John W. Eaton
jwe at che.utexas.edu
Department of Chemical Engineering