Editor with DecWindows

Les Carleton la_carle at sol.brispoly.ac.uk
Thu May 9 05:52:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991May6.123655 at wsl.dec.com> gringort at wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) writes:

>> This isn't true.  DECwindows uses the same selection mechanism as MIT.
>> I regularly cut and paste between DEC and MIT apps and it works just fine.
>> Have you actually tried this?
>
>Yes. And I stopped using it since I get unpredictable results.
>Sometimes I can select (= make black) a piece of text and paste it
>into some other window, at other times I get the results of a previous
>yank instead. And then, dxterm has its own Copy/Paste that uses a
>different selection buffer that cannot be pasted in other (MIT-based)
>windows. Try to explain that to novice users.

I think you'll find that newer DECwindows apps may use a DECwindows
clipboard instead of the MIT one (may be the wrong term but I am
referring to the buffer where cut text is stored in the X server).
Cutting and pasting between DX apps and X apps worked fine until v4,
but I remember getting some problems after that upgrade.

...Les...
"Trying to master Sunview and failing"