Vax 11/730 VM Unix

utzoo!decvax!duke!chico!esquire!ima!johnl utzoo!decvax!duke!chico!esquire!ima!johnl
Wed Jan 20 23:56:04 AEST 1982

     I hear from reliable sources that Bill Joy got VMUNIX working on a
730 at DEC almost a year ago, long before VMS worked.  It's also true
that the 730 is really slow.  Remember, it's physically the same size as
an 11/04.  It has no buffered data paths for the Unibus.  The idea, I
gather, was that it would be a relatively cheap node in a VAX network.

     I also heard rumors that the 730 has been cancelled because it's too
slow, and also, DEC will sell you 750's at super cheap 730-like prices if
you buy several and promise not to put more than one physical TTY line on
each one (although network interfaces and Telnet are OK.)