VAX performance improvements - (nf)

peter at hp-pcd.UUCP peter at hp-pcd.UUCP
Thu Aug 25 17:37:35 AEST 1983

#N:hp-pcd:19500002:000:1392
hp-pcd!peter    Aug 24 08:38:00 1983

We are currently running 4.1bsd on a VAX-750 and are investigating methods
to increase the performance of the system. Our program mix is basically
editing, compiling, and text formatting, with no large numerical analysis
type programs. Our three discs have been configured along the guidelines
suggested in "Installing and Operating 4.1bsd", with ample swap space and
fairly good balance.

I would appreciate any tips or comments on ways to improve performance, with
special interest in:

  1. memory

     We currently have 2Mb of memory. Once enough memory has been added to
     eliminate memory-manager paging and swapping, can additional benefit
     be derived by adding more memory above and beyond? Also, is anybody
     running more than 4Mb in a 750?

  2. system tuning

     Are there any system parameters which can be modified to take advantage
     of additional memory and improve performance?

  3. system metering

     Are there any tutorials or papers on the instrumentation variables
     available in "/sys/h/vmmeter.h"?

I am also looking for leads to a performance test suite for the VAX which would
enable us to empirically test changes in configurations for performance
differentials. Either public or private domain would be acceptable.

					Thanks,

					Peter Robinson
					Hewlett-Packard PCD

					ucbvax!hplabs!hp-pcd!peter