370 C compilers

Dave Martindale dmmartindale at watcgl.UUCP
Fri Apr 13 11:47:07 AEST 1984

I used the AT&T C compiler for the 370 many years ago.  Then, it had an
I/O library that thought it was talking to OS/360, and the OS/360 calls
were being emulated by CMS.  I/O was very slow.  Make sure that the AT&T
current product has fixed this.

The group at Waterloo that is doing the 370 C compiler is the Computer
Systems Group, famous for WATFIV and similar things.  I suspect that they
will have a good compiler when they are done, but of course they're still
working on it.

I have never heard anything good about Whitesmiths compilers - the biggest
complaint is about the nonstandard library, which makes all your "portable"
programs unusable without changing them.