more

VLD/VMB gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA
Thu Feb 21 10:44:28 AEST 1985

Long before I had access to "more", I had a simple paginator called
"pg" (no relation to AT&T's), originally inspired by Jeff Kodosky's.
Due to the name clash, it has been renamed "opg" and works better
for the most common cases than "more" or "pg".  It does not try to
be a universal software tool but rather just a paginator.  Kernighan
& Pike's "p" is even simpler in operation.  Neither "p" nor "opg"
have shell escapes, browsers, editors, or other bells and whistles.

There are strong design advantages to having tools with simple
function and clean interfaces; this is the original UNIX idea that
is in danger of getting lost in the rush for "features" rather than
good implementations of useful building blocks.