Can something like Script be done in System V?

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sat Jun 22 10:25:25 AEST 1985

guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) in <2325 at sun.uucp>:

>expect their input to be generated by a human being as they run; there's not
>much point in running "vi" with its input coming from a program generating
>commands or from a file consisting of commands generated by a program.  If
>you want an editor that can either be driven directly by a person or by a
>program, use "ed" - or "ex".  Screen editors solve a different problem from

>	Guy Harris

I thought that 'ex' and 'vi' WERE the same program!  /usr/bin/ex and /usr/bin/vi
are the same file on my system, just two different links (the program knows
which one it was via arg0).  Yes, yes, I know, we were talking about two KINDS
of editors (and while on that subject, wouldn't 'sed' be the ideal "editor"
to interface with another program?  O.K. I guess it would be kind of hard to
feed it except via a named pipe or a temp file, so maybe it's not ideal, but it
is sure devoid of any interactiveness) but I wonder if Guy knew that ex and vi
are identical except in name ....  :-)

here's hacking,
dan levy
at&t teletype corporation