Intermittant lockup of VAX

Mikel Manitius mikel at codas.UUCP
Sun Oct 6 09:01:04 AEST 1985

> > Here's the problem.  On a very intermittant occasion, our 785 will hang
> > anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.  During this time, nothing entered at
> > either a terminal or the console will be processed even though characters
> > are echoed back showing what you typed.  After the elapsed time has passed,
> > all processing continues as if nothing had ever happened (including a
> > flood of responses to the commands you typed in while the system was hung).
>
> I don't know if this is it, but we have had trouble with FREEMEM
> delays when some core hog (SmallTalk in our case) causes the paging
> disk to be rearranged.  This hasn't lasted more than a minute or so
> when I've noticed it here.
>
> Down with kernel garbage collection!

Check to see if you have any high speed lines connected to an
interrupt driven port, or even a 1200 baud line could do it,
we once had the probelm at RPI with a Vax 11/780, an IBM 3081D
was spitting junk at our interrupt driven port and would completely
monopolize the CPU.
--
                                        =======
     Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T